How Many People Lose Their Hair and What Treatments are Available?

How Many People Lose Their Hair?

For many people losing their hair, the psychological costs are acute. When looking around, it is easy to feel like everyone else has their hair and you don’t. For some, it diminishes their confidence in who they are and how they feel.

While this reaction may be perfectly natural, the truth is that millions of men and women suffer from hair loss.

Hair Loss Statistics

According to a 2014 survey by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (available at, approximately 35 million men in the United States suffer some type of hair loss, and while approximately 21 million women are affected by hair loss.

With approximately 320 million people in the U.S., and at least 20% of them under the age of 30 in 2014, that means that over 1 in 5 Americans are losing their hair, with men representing a higher percentage of hair loss victims.

The likelihood that men suffer hair loss significantly increases with age. By the age of 35, approximately 40 percent of men are suffering from visible hair loss, while by the age of 60, this percentage jumps to 65. That means that almost half of men, by their late-forties or early-fifties, are suffering from noticeable hair loss.

Surprisingly, the numbers for women are even higher. A different survey suggests that by age 40, approximately 40 percent of women suffer from hair loss. By age 60, approximately 80 percent of women suffer some degree of noticeable hair loss, according to the survey by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.

Hair Restoration Bala Cynwyd

Individual results may vary.


Hair Loss Treatments: What’s Available to Me?

Of men seeking treatments for hair loss, topical minoxidil or Rogaine, is by far most popular, with 85 percent trying that solution. The other 15 percent employ finasteride or Propecia. Of those numbers, a small percentage tried other treatments, such as a low level laser therapy, vitamins or herbal treatments.

Hair restoration surgery is the most reliable form of hair loss treatment, and most likely to achieve the best outcomes. Six years ago, in 2010, there were 101,252 hair restoration surgeries performed in the United States (globally, the number was 271,381). The majority were performed on men between the ages of 30-49 (though they were also performed on younger and older men too).

The vast majority of these patients received transplants of between 1,000 and 1,999, or 2,000 to 2,999 follicle grafts, which is a normal range. The average number of follicles on a scalp is 110,000.

Almost 60 percent of patients were happy with their results after a single surgery, and approximately another 37 percent were happy after a second surgery. That means 9 in 10 needed at most two surgeries to get ideal results.

Hair Loss Consultations Available

Request A Consultation

Take the Next Step

Want to learn if a Hair Restoration is right for you? Schedule a consultation at Dr. Farole’s Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center in Bala Cynwyd, PA by giving us a call at (610) 668-3300 today.

Foundation for Hair Restoration
Statistic Brain

Share this:
By | 2020-03-30T10:20:24-04:00 August 29th, 2016|Info Articles|

CallEmail ReviewsDirections