Dentists and oral surgeons often recommend dental implants as an effective way to replace a missing tooth. But did you know this proven technique is also used to improve the functioning of existing bridgework or dentures?
Many people wear dentures that are uncomfortable. Still others are unhappy with their removable partial dentures. If you’re facing either of these problems, you may want to consider dental implants as a possible solution.
HOW IMPLANTS WORK
More and more patients are choosing implants to replace a single tooth or several teeth, or to support a full set of dentures. Implants are made of 2 parts:
- A sturdy metal post surgically placed into the upper or lower jawbone, replacing the root of a missing tooth.
- A man-made crown that sits atop the post, designed to match surrounding teeth.
Dental implants are made of titanium (a strong, lightweight metal) and other materials that are well accepted by the body. Dentists and oral surgeons in the U.S. place more than 5 million implants every year.
THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
- Implants offer firm support for man-made teeth. Dentures, bridges or single teeth attached to the implants won’t slip or shift in your mouth – giving you much more confidence when eating and speaking.
- This secure fit also helps man-made teeth feel more natural than typical bridges or dentures.
- Many people may find implant-supported dentures more comfortable than dentures that do not use implants.
HOW IMPLANTS INTEGRATE WITH OTHER DENTAL WORK
Dental implants can be used to support an existing bridge when several teeth are missing. The implant-supported bridge replaces the lost natural teeth and some of the tooth roots. Unlike traditional bridges, an implant-supported bridge does not need support from the teeth next to it.
If you are missing all of your teeth, implant-supported dentures can replace your teeth and some of your tooth roots. Because the dental implants integrate, or fuse, with your jawbone, your dentures will feel more comfortable and stable in your mouth, allowing you to bite, chew, speak and smile with more confidence.
QUESTIONS? ASK DR. FAROLE
Dr. Anthony Farole is a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon serving thousands of patients in Bala Cynwyd and the Greater Philadelphia area. If you’re wondering about dental implants as a way to improve your oral health and restore your smile, he is happy to meet with you.
In the comfort of our Bala Cynwyd offices, Dr. Farole will talk with you about your options and answer questions about your unique needs.
Take the Next Step
Want to learn if a dental implants is right for you? Schedule a consultation at Dr. Farole’s Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center in Bala Cynwyd, PA by giving us a call at (610) 668-3300 today.