Beautiful skin needs the right attention 365 days a year. While protecting yourself from sun damage should be a priority anytime, changing temperatures call for adjustments in your skin care routine.
FALL SKIN CARE RECOMMENDATIONS
As chilly, drier air arrives, your skin may lose precious moisture. Autumn is also the time to help your skin recover from the effects of summer sun, chlorine and saltwater.
- DO exfoliate and moisturize. It’s best to apply moisturizer directly after a bath or shower to help seal in and replenish the skin with the necessary water and oils.
- DO protect your lips.Use lip products that safeguard against the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Start moisturizing now to prevent dry, cracked lips this winter.
- DO switch from lotion to cream.As the air loses humidity, especially in northern climates, skin needs a heavier moisturizer. Creams provide a stronger barrier to hold moisture inside the skin.
- DO invest in hand cream.Hands often become dry and cracked during the winter. Start moisturizing hands now to ensure soft and healthy hands all winter long.
- DON’T forget the sunscreen. Even though the temperatures seem cooler and the days shorter, children and adults should continue to apply sunscreen before heading outside.
TIPS FOR GORGEOUS SKIN IN WINTERTIME
To stay healthy, skin needs more than hats, gloves and coats to shield them from the cold. Low temperatures can cause cracking, chapping and irritation. Winter sun and winds can irritate and chap skin, even causing flare-ups for those who suffer from eczema.
- DO moisturize often. Moisturizer creates a barrier between you and the harsh elements. Carry a tube with you to apply as needed. Brands that contain extra emollients will help seal in moisture and protect you from cold temperatures, wind and irritation from heavy winter fabrics.
- DO pamper your hands. Wearing gloves is a simple, easy way to help protect hands from frigid temperatures and dry air. You may find that your nails become brittle in winter, too. Wearing gloves and using hand cream or cuticle oil will reduce the chances of cracks, splits and hangnails.
- DON’T forget sunscreen. Since the snow reflects sunlight, the ultraviolet rays of the sun can be very strong in winter. Outdoor activities such as skiing can result in serious sunburn if you skip the simple step of applying a sport cream with the right SPF.
- DON’T skip your lips. A recent study shows that only 6 percent of Americans realize that ultraviolet rays can cause lip cancer. The study also reveals that men in North America have 5 to 10 times greater incidence of lip cancer than women! During the winter months, both men and women should apply lip block or lipstick with high SPF protection.
- DON’T take long, hot showers or baths. While it might seem like the best way to warm up fast, hot water can strip your skin of its natural moisture. Stick to warm showers and baths and don’t linger longer than you need. Moisturize right after toweling off to give your skin the refreshing “drink” it needs.
WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR SKIN’S APPEARANCE? DR. FAROLE CAN HELP
As careful as we may be year-round, life has a way of showing up on our skin. If you are looking for ways to improve the way your skin looks, request a conversation with Dr. Farole.
As a skin care expert and board-certified surgeon, he has helped thousands of patients correct skin damage with cosmetic facial surgery and procedures such as dermabrasion and Botox wrinkle removal.
Dr. Farole will be happy to discuss the various options with you and answer questions about your unique needs.
Take the Next Step
Want to learn if a skin rejuvenation is right for you? Schedule a consultation at Dr. Farole’s Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center in Bala Cynwyd, PA by giving us a call at (610) 668-3300 today.